Planned Giving

Enhance your philanthropy, invest in excellence, and transform our San Diego Community while enjoying tax and financial benefits for you and your loved ones. Below are some of the many options from which to choose. Talk with your tax professional or financial advisor to learn more about tax advantages with these and many other options for supporting City Ballet*.

Carmina Burana promotional shot
Donate Stocks, Bonds and Securities

A gift of appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy way to make a gift to City Ballet, receive a charitable income tax deduction, and you may avoid paying capital gains tax.  Make your gift today by electronic transfer!

Information to give your broker:

  • Receiving Firm Name: Charles Schwab
  • Receiving Account Title: City Ballet, Inc.
  • Receiving Account Number: 5411-6425
  • Receiving Firm DTC Number:  0164, code 40
  • City Ballet Tax ID Number: #33-0574291

Please remind your broker to include your name and contact information in the DTC comment field, and please alert us when you donate securities.

Donate via a Charitable Donor-Advised Fund Account

A donor advised fund account is a simple, tax-smart investment solution for charitable giving. Open an account and contribute cash, appreciated assets, or investments. You’ll be eligible for a current-year tax deduction. Then make a grant to City Ballet at any time.

Gift of Personal Property

Make a gift of real estate, valuable painting, antique, or other personal property to City Ballet. You may be eligible to receive an immediate income tax deduction for the appraised value of your gift*.    Also, gifts of property or investments made in kind to City Ballet can avoid capital gains tax, so long as the gift can be used by City Ballet to carry out its mission.

Make a Tax-Free Gift from an IRA

If you are 70½ years old or older, you can give up to $100,000 from your IRA directly to City Ballet without having to pay income taxes on the gift*.  A Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA to City Balletgenerates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you can benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions. If you have not yet taken your required minimum distribution for the year, your IRA charitable rollover gift can satisfy all or part of that requirement.

Beneficiary of IRA, Retirement Account or Life Insurance Policy

Just name City Ballet as a beneficiary of your IRA, retirement plan or life insurance policy. You can complete this gift by filling out a beneficiary form from your IRA or retirement plan provider.  This is an easy and flexible way to give.


Mrs. Jones has a life insurance policy of $1 million. Her current beneficiaries are her children. Mrs. Jones has a desire to support ballet, but has limited income available. One option is to make City Ballet a minor beneficiary of say 2%. Mrs. Jones’ children are now 98% beneficiaries or $980.000, which means that Mrs. Jones is leaving 2% or $20,000 to City Ballet.
Gifts from Your Will or Trust

A gift to City Ballet in your will or revocable trust enables you to support our mission and make a difference. A bequest is easy to arrange and will not alter your current lifestyle in any way.

Sample language for your will or trust:

“I give and bequeath to City Ballet, Inc, tax ID #33-0574291, ___ (insert dollar amount, percentage of estate, or description of securities or property, etc.) to be used for its general purposes free of all death taxes, generation-skipping transfer taxes, debts and expenses of estate administration.”